Monday, December 12, 2016

What We Love...

"What we love we shall grow to resemble," (Bernard of Clairvaux).  

I've seen this quote a few times on a flip-calendar that sits on my mom's kitchen window sill. Each time I've read it, it has resonated with me and made me think. I think that there is some truth to that statement. 

What we love, we DO grow to resemble. 

Think about who you spend the most time with, and then think about habits of theirs that you have inadvertently picked up. I've noticed that I tend to pick up phrases that friends say a lot, and start saying them myself! 

I think the same can be said for tv shows that we watch a lot of, or movies we see over and over again. We can sometimes pick up on the habits/phrases/etc. of characters. 

I think of other things I "love," and I have to ask myself this question: Do I want to grow to resemble the things I love, and the things I say I love? 

If I am loving things that are pure, holy, and right, then by all means, yes! I want to grow to resemble those things! But, if I am loving things that are not right, that are not pleasing to our Heavenly Father, then I definitely do NOT want to grow to resemble them. 

So the second question I have to ask myself is this: Am I guarding my heart against loving things that I shouldn't? Am I being careful to love things that are pleasing to God? 

Philippians 4:8 tells us to think on things that are "true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent, and praiseworthy.." Those are the things our thoughts should be focused on--and those are the things that honor Christ! If our thoughts are honoring to Christ, then I think that helps direct our "loves" to things that are honoring to Him as well. 

Romans 12:9 tells us that "love must be sincere. Hate what is evil. Cling to what is good," and Titus 1:5 tells us that elders must be men who "love what is good." While that verse is in the context of explaining the qualifications of an elder, I believe that any believer should be striving to "love what is good." 

If we are loving what is good, what is pleasing to God, then hopefully, with His help, we will be growing to resemble holiness. 

1 Peter 1:15 says "but just as He who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do." 

If we are called to holiness, then I want to be choosing to love things that will help me grow in holiness.  

What we love, and what we say we love, says a lot about us. 

My prayer today is that I will love things that are pleasing to God, and that because of those loves, I will draw closer to Him and grow in holiness--all for HIS glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment