Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Wielding the Sword

I've learned about the armor of God many times over the years, in Sunday school, AWANA, youth group, and through reading my Bible. I've been realizing more and more lately that sometimes there is a very real disconnect between learning something and actually APPLYING it to our lives. 


Ephesians 6:10-17 says this: "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God." (NIV) 


If you read through that passage, you see many pieces of armor meant to protect you--to defend. There is only one piece that is different. The Sword of the Spirit. The part of the armor that is offensive, rather than defensive. 


I know this is true, but I honestly don't know if I've ever applied it practically. 

There has been a lot on my mind and heart recently, and I found myself anxious often. One morning during devotions last week, God brought to mind Philippians 4:4-8: 



"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." 
That passage was exactly the reminder I needed, and after reading it and praying through it I felt much calmer and at peace, but God pressed it on my heart that I needed to remember those verses. 
I went on with the day, but soon enough the anxieties came back. Before reading that passage that morning, I would've let the fears and thoughts start to consume me, but this time I remembered the verses in Philippians, I stopped and literally said them out loud. Over and over again. 
The anxieties calmed, and peace came. 
Then later in the day, the anxieties popped up again. So, again, I repeated those verses. Once again, I received peace. 
And it happened again and again. I would begin to feel anxious or fearful, so I would focus on the passage in Philippians, saying the verses both out loud and in my head depending where I was at and what I was doing. 
And suddenly it hit me... this is what wielding the Sword of the Spirit is supposed to be.
It's battling sins, fears, anxieties, worries, etc. with the Word of God, instead of trying to do it on our own. 
It's focusing on Scripture to get our minds fixed on God, not on the problem at hand. 
It's using Scripture to preach the truth to yourself, instead of listening to the lies of the evil one. 
It's using Scripture to take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5), instead of letting your thoughts run wild. (I know I'm guilty of that!) 
It's amazing that God not only redeemed us through Jesus's blood on the cross, but He gives us His very Word, a Sword by which to defend ourselves. 
One of my sweet friends so wisely shared with me once that God had been pressing on her heart the importance of memorizing and knowing Scripture, because it was her weapon, the weapon God had given her to fight the lies that Satan feeds us. 
If we don't know Scripture, how can we fight? Against lies, against sin, against anxieties? 
If we don't know Scripture, we are not using the weapon that God specifically gave us! 
I don't know about you, but I definitely don't want to waste the gift that God has given us in His Word. 
I want to know His Word, so that I might wield the Sword. 

No comments:

Post a Comment