Tuesday, November 4, 2014

...to be a testimony

Yesterday I had the privilege of talking on the phone with a 93 year old Christian woman. What a humbling experience, and what a blessing!

My great-grandpa lived to be 92 years old, so any time I meet someone or talk with someone who is in their 90's I immediately think of my Grandpa Rudy, and my heart is touched. Yesterday was no exception.

I had the opportunity to ask this sweet lady if she had any prayer requests. Her answer astounded me!

Expecting an answer regarding her health, instead she asked for prayer that she would continue to be a testimony to those around her.

Ninety-three years old, asking for prayer that she would continue to be a testimony for Christ.

Not complaining about her age, or the way it limits her.

Not grumbling about aches and pains, of which I am sure she has many.

She could have asked for prayer for anything, but she asked that she would continue to live in a way that is a testimony to those around her.

I hung up the phone yesterday, convicted and blessed.

Convicted, because I know how often my focus is on my own struggles, my own pain, my own little world, instead of focusing on Christ and how I can be living as a light for Him.

Blessed, because what a gift it was to have that short conversation. What a gift to be reminded by her, unintentionally, that this life I live is not my own, but that I am here to be a testimony of God's grace, forgiveness, and love to those around me.

Since hanging up the phone, I haven't been able to get that conversation out of my head... because that's what I want.

I want that to be my prayer, too.

Not concerned with my own little world, my aches and pains, but concerned with how I can be a testimony to those around me.

It scares me, because I know that praying that sincerely means that God will lead me out of my comport zone. It won't always be fun, and it won't always feel safe, and sometimes it will hurt. But I know and believe with all my heart that it will be worth it, because Christ is enough and He is worth it.

Ninety-three years old, and her prayer request is to be a testimony to those around her.

Today, I'm joining her, praying that my life would be a testimony to those around me of God's grace, His unfailing love, His forgiveness, and His great faithfulness.

Will it be your prayer, too?

1 comment:

  1. It is so refreshing to hear from mature Christians who continue to keep this life in perspective! Thanks for sharing Jenna!

    ReplyDelete