Friday, April 5, 2013

My Good Shepherd

Yesterday morning I read Psalm 23, and God opened my eyes to the truth contained in that short chapter in a new way. I’ve read Psalm 23 countless times before, so when I began reading it that morning I wasn’t necessarily expecting to learn something new, but God wanted to remind me Who He is.

“The Lord is my shepherd,” David writes at the beginning of the chapter. I started thinking about shepherds, and how they tend to their sheep with care. They care for them, making sure that they have what they need to live and thrive.

“The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, and he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul.”

God is my Shepherd, and He will provide what I need. Like the shepherd tends to his sheep, leading them to green pastures (providing them with the nourishment they need), God provides what I need. The shepherd leads his sheep to quiet waters (so that the sheep would not be frightened by rushing water, and so that they would actually drink from it). God is leading me, He is providing what I need, and calming my fears. My Shepherd restores my soul!

“He [My Shepherd] guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.”
God is guiding me along the right path. Like a good sheep I need to keep close to Him, following Him wherever He leads. Sheep don’t know where they are being led, but they follow their shepherd anyway. Sheep go astray, need to be found and led back to the right path. Sheep are dumb animals, and need someone to guide them to the things they need (like food and water). I don’t think it was a coincidence that we are compared to sheep many times in the Bible. We are sheep, and because of that we need a Shepherd!

“We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way” Isaiah 53:6

“I have strayed like a lost sheep.” Psalm 119:176

“Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.” Psalm 100:3

The Bible compares us over and over again to sheep, and calls Jesus our Shepherd. In John 10, it says that “he [the Good Shepherd, or Jesus] goes on ahead of them [the sheep], and his sheep follow him because they know his voice.” Did you catch that last part? The sheep follow him, because they know his voice. They recognize that He is their shepherd. They know his voice, and therefore know that they should follow Him.

Psalm 23 goes on to say that “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.” Because my Shepherd is leading me, I don’t need to be afraid. There is evil in the world around me, but my Shepherd is guiding me, so I need not fear.

As I read Psalm 23, especially the first four verses, God reminded me that He is my Shepherd, and that He is in control.

Daughter, you are just a sheep, but fear not the evil that surrounds you in this life. I am your Shepherd, and I am leading you. I am guiding you along the path of righteousness, for My Name’s sake. Times may seem troubled, but I am leading you to quiet waters. It is not for you to determine when you will get there, for I know the right time. Trust me as I lead; I will provide what you need.

Trust Me. I am your Shepherd, follow My voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment