Thursday, April 18, 2013

Better than any "Aha!" Moment

When I was younger, I always thought that I’d reach a certain time in my life where I’d know what I was doing. For example, when I was 8 or 9, I thought that surely by the time I was 15 I would be so much more knowledgeable and know more of who I was. Or when I was a freshman in high school, I thought that by the time I graduated I’d know what I would want to major in and where I should go to college. In my naivety, I thought that one day I would have an “Aha!” moment, and suddenly my confusion and uncertainty about the unknown future would go away.


That “Aha!” moment never came.

 
But the more I’ve thought and prayed about it, I’m glad. I may not know the future, but my heavenly Father does. My uncertainty causes me to depend on Him, which is the way it should be.

 
And God, in His loving care, has not left you and me alone to walk blindly through this journey of life. He has given us His Holy Spirit, the ability to talk with Him anytime and anywhere through prayer, and the Bible.

 
“Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet,

            And a light unto my path.”

                        Psalm 119:105

 
God’s word is a lamp for our feet, and a light for our path! We are not left to stumble in the darkness. We have been given a light.

 
A devotional I read a few days ago describes this perfectly:

“When it comes to God’s plans for our lives, we like to know where God is taking us, the steps we need to take to get there and all of the wonderful details of how He is going to do it.  However, we find that God doesn’t reveal everything to us, but only what He wants us to know and what we are ready to receive.  No matter how in the dark you feel about God’s direction for your life, there is always a light shining on a particular task He wants us to do, even if that task is to spend more time with Him in prayer and study of the Bible.  You will find that as you walk in obedience to what you know to do, God will begin to reveal more in time.  He always will give us direction and light, just maybe not in the areas we want it in.  In Biblical times, night travelers would tie clay lamps to their ankles so that they could see the path right in front of them.  Their path didn’t blaze with light showing the entire road.  They only could see the steps right in front of them to take.  God’s Word is a lamp unto our feet and is a light to our path (Psalm 119:105).  His Word shows us what we need to do step by step.” (From Daughters of the King, daily devotional “One Step at a Time”)

 
As much as I would like to know the big picture and what God’s plan for me is, I’m thankful that I don’t know all of it. If I did, it would be too easy to live my life independently from God, instead of in dependence on Him. I also think that it would be way too overwhelming. Our God, in His loving-kindness, leads us day by day, moment by moment, if we choose to follow Him. He reveals a little bit of the picture at a time, all in His perfect timing.

 During the times when the uncertainty of the future is daunting and overwhelming, my Father whispers His promises…

 
“I am with you always, to the very end of age.” (Matthew 28:20)

 
“I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Joshua 1:5)

 
“My peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” (John 14:27)

 
I may not know the future, but I know Who holds the future.

 
And that is better than any “Aha!” moment.

1 comment:

  1. This is and of itself the best "Aha" moment you could ever have. Realizing that you do not know the future but instead, that you know who holds the future is the best realzation one can ever make.

    ReplyDelete