Saturday, April 26, 2014

Live Like You Were Dying

I'm re-reading a series by Karen Kingsbury right now. One character in this series is diagnosed, very suddenly, with an aggressive form of brain cancer. She literally only has a few months to live, and those months are filled with pain, sickness, and the continuing decline of her body. However, as the end draws near for her time on this earth, she is filled with peace and excitement as she looks forward to seeing Jesus. This part of this fictional series is hard to read, to be honest. As I was reading it this time, though, something different stuck out to me. As this woman was in her final days here, she was at peace. She had loved the Lord, and she had loved other people, through her last moments. She didn't have many regrets; she had lived fully during the days she was given. 

I was convicted by this, because I feel like so often I go through life as if I have all the time in the world... When in reality, I don't. I only have however much time God has granted me, and since I don't know how many days and years that is, I want to strive to live each day to the fullest. I want to make the most of each day and each opportunity that God gives me. Two verses in Psalms come to mind:

Psalm 39:4-5 “Show me, Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure." 

This life is a vapor, just a quick sojourn in the long journey of eternity.  I want my life to count, to not be wasted. I want what I do with my time here to echo in eternity, because I lived for The Lord instead of for myself. I want to make the most of each gift, each day, that I receive from the Father, knowing that it is just that: a gift. I want to live fully in the gift of TODAY, rejoicing and giving thanks in it. I want to live and love today, because we are not guaranteed tomorrow. 

As I was thinking about this, a song by Tim McGraw came to mind. It's called "Live Like You Were Dyin'."  It's a song about a man who receives a terminal diagnosis from his doctor, and in the face of that, someone asks him what he did. His reply? 

"He said I was finally the husband, 
That most the time I wasn't.
And I became a friend a friend would like to have.
And all the sudden goin' fishing, 
Wasn't such an imposition.
And I went three times that year I lost my dad.
Well I finally read the good book,
And I took a good long hard look at what I'd do
If I could do it all again.

went sky divin', 
I went rocky mountain climbin', 
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull name Fumanchu.
And I loved deeper, 
And I spoke sweeter, 
And I gave forgiveness I've been denying, 
And he said someday I hope you get the chance,
To live like you were dyin'.   -Tim McGraw


The question that has been on my mind: What would our lives (my life) look like if we lived each day as if it was our last? If we stopped taking each day for granted, recognizing that it is a gift and could be our last? 

What if you lived each day as if you were dying? 

Would you tell the people in your life that you love them? 
Would you forgive the ones who've hurt you? 
Would you let go of bitterness you've been hanging on to?  
Would you stop letting unimportant things clutter your time? 
Would you live joyously, gratefully? 
Would you share the love and message of Christ unashamedly? 

No comments:

Post a Comment